Thursday, January 06, 2005

Knee Deep In Wonder

You know how you think you've got it all figured out and God puts a monkey wrench in your plan? That's how life has been for me lately. I 've set the goal, made the resolutions and sure enough, things...shift. Not necessarily in the negative, just not what I'd planned in the first place.

Take my writing career. I've written a number of books and am having a difficult time focusing on the last one. BUT, my publicist just gave me another hot idea and to be honest, I'm all over it like white on rice. AGAIN, this is a deviation from the "paper plan." Yet, I don't want to miss the opportunity either. I think I'm going in circles here.

I think the real issue is the lack of acceptance I've felt when I step outside of the "box". Yes there is a literary box that shifts authors into certain genres, ethnicities, just categorization at its zenith. When an author wanders outside the familiar, the unspoken gasp is very audible. Shame too. I always believed that being a writer was like being an actor, you should be able to write from any perspective and with enough research, imagine yourself as anybody or anything. It's reflected in my writings also.

Guess I'll just have to sit around a little longer and wait and see!

No comments: