Monday, January 10, 2005

Beward of squandering Advertising funds

Sometimes I'm convinced that the con artist have decided to target authors. I mean they are coming out of the woodwork. Everyone is an agent, copyeditor, critquer, publisher, etc. and the list is growing by the second. The big thing they leave out of their spill is--they have NO track record of having provided a flea with oxygen let alone making your manuscript the next big thing.

Now, I have an ongoing saga with a magazine publisher out of Atlanta--I'll let them remain nameless for now. I was one of the first authors to advertise in this publication, at a time when I hadn't sold a book, so of course money was an issue--but I thought it would be a good stepping stone. I think I did this 2 more times plus individual ads. The truth, after almost $2000, I have yet to sell a book due to this publication.

Now the bone I've got to pick? Even though I'd been told I would be a featured cover author, the editor to date has taken my funds but either doesn't think my work is good enough to merit being a cover author and won't say (Amazon.com reviews would make that statement a blatant lie!) or this magazine treats its clients badly. I'm good for the money but not the exposure--no give and take.

The last straw? A former publicist scheduled a sign & Dine for Nov 7. After paying the remainder fee, I got an email from the editor asking what date did I want to do the Sign & Dine. This was a week before the event was "supposed" to happen. In the end, THEY had not written it down, and that weekend really didn't work but she would "work" me in...Now I don't know about anyone else, but I want the full benefits of advertising that go along with my dollars and I'd not been advertised at all. The event wasn't free either. It was $250 just to have the sign & dine. That translates into selling 21 books before I make any money.

So, I cancelled. Guess what I have yet to receive? Yes, my money. This may get nasty...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.