Thursday, November 29, 2007

Afraid to Live and Afraid to Die...

My title thought hit me out of the blue a few days ago. How many of us don't live like we want because of our own fears yet we aren't ready to die either? Ironic indeed.

What, exactly, is the problem with our mental hard wiring? Why do we allow outsiders who are unknown/contribute nothing to our well-being to control our destiny? Why get all bent out of shape when you get a bad review. Consider the source, evaluate whether the content is worthy and realistic but don't let words written by a "shadow human" stop your show.

My mother was a fearful woman. She always told me I could do anything, yet she was afraid to do almost anything unless I pushed her. I wanted her to try so many things but she died having never flown, ridden a cruise boat or traveled outside of the country. Vacations were always long driving events. Fly and lay around in a hotel and chill? Uh uh. Wasn't gonna happen. If you didn't have an agenda, you were wasting your time, her time and that was NOT allowed.

I oftentimes now wonder where her fears came from and why she allowed them to hold her back. But I also know she couldn't have always been this fearful. My uncles told me stories of her riding horses, working with animals. In fact, she had a scar where she fell from a horse. Where was THIS mama as I grew up? I never saw her. I think she lived her adventures through me since I love challenges and would jump into a situation without a parachute in a heartbeat.

But one thing I do know, writer's you can't be afraid to live the life you want. Somebody is, so why NOT you? Because when you die, unlike money, you CAN take those great stories with you.

Think about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sydney,

Thank you so much for sharing this reflection with the rest of the world. As I read it, may thoughts flooded my mind. As I roll out of bed each morning, I have so many grand plans.But as night falls, I realize how many things I have, once again, but off for that illusive tommorow. Each day that we work, plan, pray, scream and laugh together, I realize more and more who you are as a woman, mother, daughter, educator and author. Many times I see your tempered spirit rise when diplomacy of the order of the day. I too, am a wild child. Most would say, an extremely wild child. Your mother gave you what most do not, boundaries. What I know for sure as a fellow country girl of strict upbringing, they (our parents) did what they knew to do. We have the option to buck on the system and will, you know how we are:-). You are free to fly over glass ceiling and leap over status quo. Cause you are as rare and unique as a rainbow after the rain. This is your life...Keep the camera rolling.

sydney molare said...

Hey Ms. Carol or should I say, my better half. You already know how much fun and joy we are having here lately. Thanks for being YOU.