Friday, September 15, 2006

Adventures In Advertising



I just posted the email below in some of my writers groups about what I discovered about the advertising game--and that's what it is, a numbers game. In researching advertising rates within the writing community, I now understand the Caveat Emptor statement. It's true--buyer, or writer, beware. All the "great" deals AREN'T deals at all. Anywho, take a moment to read and of course, send feedback! Smooches.

Good People,
Having been one that has made plenty of mistakes in this publishing game, I had to share what I've learned about advertising. First though, I want to say, I've done my share of advertising. $250/month ads, even signed on and got some for $150-200 if I got them for 3 months and I did--paid over time like a layaway and everything supposedly focused for readers of AA literature. Shoot, I never recouped the cost of the advertising. Did this over and over and finally I started looking for better alternatives. I mean, how long can you throw money behind the same ad and it still yields no sales, right? Like I said, I've paid my advertising dues.

NOW, what I've discovered is...if you go "beyond" your present boundaries, there is a whole 'nother advertising cost scale. Shoot, I just paid $12 for a 4 month banner ad. Then another author told me about another reader/writer site and I paid $25 for a year of advertising. Got me a webpage, book stays up all year and I'll be a featured author. AND I've found oodles of other sites that do the same thing. I mean, $10 - $15 (even at 1 month, this is a steal) shoot off an announcement/ interview/ feature spot to their hundreds of members and wahlah! You've got sales! And heck, I don't need but 1.5 of any title sold to recoup the cost.

I'm not saying that the $250 a month is a bad price...I'm just saying, you have options.

Lesson complete. Have a great night.

Syd


Peace out.

No comments: